|Goan Sorak Curry|
Ingredients for Masala:
1 cup grated coconut
6 kashmiri chilies
3 garlic cloves
2 teaspoon coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 onion (chopped fine)
6 kokum (bindi solam)
3 green chilies (slit in half)
salt to taste
1. Prep your ingredients before you begin to save time while cooking.
2. Grind the ingredients for masala into a smooth paste.
3. Heat a couple teaspoons of oil in a pot and saute the chopped onion in it.
4. Once the onions turn translucent, add the ground masala paste to the pot. Add a cup or so of water as per desired consistency and bring to a boil on low heat.
5. Once the curry comes to a rolling boil, turn down the heat and add the kokum and slit green chilies to the curry. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or so, before turning off the heat.
6. Traditionally Sorak is served with steamed rice and pickled fish (parra). I've served it with some steamed yellow jeera rice and prawn balchao instead.