|Goan Beef Croquettes|
1/2 kilogram lean ground beef
1 tablespoon ginger/garlic paste
1 tablespoon garam masala
2 - 3 bread slices (without crust)
1 tablespoon vinegar
1/2 cup coriander leaves
1/2 cup semolina (rawa)
1. Prep your spices along with the onions and coriander to save you time while cooking.
2. In a pot, saute the ground beef along with the onions, chilies, ginger/garlic paste and garam masala. Note: I remove most of the seeds from the chilies in order to reduce the spice level and also to avoid ending up with seeds in the finished product.
3. Once the beef is almost cooked, add the chopped coriander and vinegar to the mix.
4. Cook until the mix is completely dry. There should be no water remaining or you will end up with a soggy mix. Set it aside to cool.
5. Cut and soak the bread slices for a few minutes.
6. Using a meat grinder, grind the mix to a fine/medium consistency.
7. Add the egg and the bread (squeezed dry) to the ground mix.
8. Transfer the mix to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for around 1/2 hour to cool and firm up.
9. Spread semolina on a chopping board. Using the palm of your hand and a narrow flat spatula, shape and roll the mix into finger sized croquettes.
10. You will end up with approximately 30 croquettes depending on the size that you roll them to.
11. In a deep pot, heat oil to 350*F (180*C) and gently drop the croquettes into the hot oil one at a time.
12. Remove from oil when they brown, and let drain on some kitchen towels.
13. Enjoy with some Ketchup or your favourite dipping sauce.